Canada Border Crossing Information

Types of identification, handling misdemeanours, and who to talk to

Are you a U.S. citizen planning a trip to Canada? We want to make sure you have all the information you need to cross the border. For information about what you can bring to Canada, firearms, you can find more information at the Algoma Country website.

Do I need a passport to cross the border?

All U.S. citizens aged 16+ entering Canada by land, air or sea must present one of the following:

  • U.S. Passport: Accepted for travel by land, sea and air.
  • U.S. Passport Card: This limited-use travel document fits in a wallet and costs less than a passport. Only valid for travel by land and sea.
  • Enhanced Driver's License (EDL)/Enhanced Identification Card (EIC): Specifically designed for cross-border travel into the US by land and sea, several states and Canadian provinces/territories issue a special driver's license/identification document that denotes identity and citizenship.
  • Trusted Traveler Program Cards: NEXUS, SENTRI, or FAST enrolment can speed your entry and are issued only to pre-approved low-risk travellers. These are valid for travel by land and sea; the NEXUS card can be used in airports with a NEXUS kiosk.

Travellers aged 15 and under require a birth certificate for land and sea travel and a passport for air travel.

Have you or a traveller in your group been charged with a felony or misdemeanour?

If you or someone in your party has been convicted of a felony or misdemeanour conviction, you may not be allowed to enter Canada.

Admissibility depends on the nature of the offence, how many you have and how long ago it occurred.

What You Can Do

You may have to complete some paperwork. Immigration Canada authorities will be able to advise you. The final determination for admissibility into Canada is made at the time of border crossing.

Who You can Call

For more information visit the Canada Border Services Agency or speak to an Immigration Officer by phone to discuss your situation: 1-800-461-9999 (in Canada) or (204) 983-3500 (outside of Canada).

Guests or lodge owners can speak directly to someone by phone about any of these border-crossing issues by phoning NOTO (Nature and Outdoor Tourism Ontario) at 1-800-665-5787.

What You Can Bring into Canada

It's important to know that all US travellers entering Canada are required by law to declare all food, plant and animal items (including by-products). There are regular adjustments made to requirements because of pest and disease situations.

Before you pack for your trip ensure you follow rules and help ease wait times at the border:

To learn more about what you can and cannot bring into Canada, visit:

Plan Your Trip

You can order a Free Algoma Travel Guide at the website or phone toll-free at 1-800-263-2546. Our travel guide and website have everything you need to know about fishing, hunting, touring by motorcycle, RV or car, and canoeing, kayaking and hiking adventures in our region of Ontario. Our guide also contains information about our communities, shopping, and dining and has a full business listing.

Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to ensure this information is accurate but we cannot be held responsible for the information provided herein.

About Heather Bot

I'm a staff writer for Algoma Country and I hope my articles entice you to plan your next vacation in Algoma. Our beautiful area has everything you need for a true outdoor adventure: fishing and hunting, epic touring routes and breathtaking outdoors. We are home to many awesome places to eat, cool places to shop, museums and galleries, festivals and events. 

Recommended Articles

Lake Superior

10 Facts You Might Not Have Known About Lake Superior

The Butter Tart

Oh, Butter Tart, We Stand on Guard for Thee

Facts About Lake Huron

10 Things We Bet You Didn't Know

The Wawa Goose

Welcoming Visitors For Over 50 Years

Family Fun at a Fishing Lodge

Family-friendly places to fish in Northern Ontario.

Couples Winter Getaways

It's Time to Play in the Snow

Pike & Dead Bait

How to Effectively Use Dead Bait

You Gotta Eat Here: 5 Must Try Restaurants in Sault Ste. Marie

These restaurants are a must when visiting the Soo.

Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald

The Best Song About Lake Superior

Chapleau Game Preserve

Experience the World's Largest Game Preserve

Five Days of winter

Day One Kicks Off at Searchmont Resort

Pike and Muskie Leaders

When to Use Them and What Types To Use

Drop Shot Walleye

Learn This Effective Fishing Technique

Stokely Creek Lodge

A winter wonderland in the heart of Algoma.

The Queen’s Tarts

Handcrafted, gourmet buttertarts and house roasted coffee.

Got Bison?

The largest bison farm in Eastern Canada is right here in Algoma Country

Fishing Knots 101

Five knots every angler should know.

The Best Shore Lunch

Learn to Cook Fresh Fish

Plenty of Perch

Perch are Fun to Catch and Tasty to Eat

Finding late fall walleye

Tips & Techniques for Late Fall Fishing